Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Portobello Mushroom Burger

At the grocery store I saw some big beautiful portobello mushrooms and decided to make a portobello burger for dinner. This is just as easy to make as a beef burger, just as tasty as a beef burger (in my opinion), but it's better for you than a beef burger!

I started by prepping the portobellos for cooking. This involves breaking off the stems, cleaning the gills, and making sure the outside dirt is washed off. There are some great online tutorials that demonstrate this process. 

As I was cleaning the mushrooms I also preheated the over to 400 degrees. After the mushrooms are clean, place them in pan lined with tin foil and coated with olive oil. Place the mushrooms top side down in the pan, cover with a little more olive oil and some chopped garlic (I chopped up one clove of garlic for three mushrooms).


Chopped Garlic

 Instead of hand chopping the garlic you could also use a garlic mincer -- I often use one, especially when I am making sauce.

Foil lined pan


Make sure the pan is nicely coated so the mushrooms don't stick to the bottom.

Portobellos drizzled with olive oil and topped with garlic

And it's that simple. Pop the pan into the oven for 10 - 12 minutes (until tender) and then you are ready to create your burger! The great thing about burgers is that the possibilities are endless for what you can top them with. 

Even Max wants my burger

With this burger I decided to pair it with some blue cheese dressing, hot sauce, cole slaw, onions, and cheddar cheese. The cole slaw added a nice crunch and the blue cheese gave it some tang. I still have two more mushrooms left so I can wait to try another pairing tomorrow.

Portobello burger on a whole wheat bun
Ingredients:
Portobello mushrooms (large)
Anything else you enjoy with a regular burger!

It's that simple.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting choice. I hope it tasted as good as it looked. Love the cameo by Max!

    ReplyDelete